Re: A Little Help--Narda, Harry???

  • Subject: Re: A Little Help--Narda, Harry???
  • From: Betsy Mahtani <bmathani@flash.net>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 13:54:52 -0500

Yes, I am going to have a clay-lined pool.  The red-orange clay is only
a few inches under the topsoil, so I only have to use the red clay I'm
digging out on the log and clay dam on the end, but the "white" clay was
a couple of feet farther down.  Was simply shaping and deepening the
gully a bit and getting the supply of clay to make the dam out of when I
ran into it.  The "white" clay is so dense that even after soaking the
patch still in the ground in standing water for two days, it was only
moist down about an inch.  After that, I had to chop it out with the
axe, and it was pretty dry and very crumbly.  Adding a little bit of
water to it immediately made it soft and pliable.

I know I can BUY it, but like the idea of my own natural clay.  I'm a
bit on the stubborn side, also.  Mom didn't call me "Ironhead" for
nothing!  Fortunately, my back is strong, and my physical therapist (for
bursitis in my shoulder) says I can substitute the digging for one daily
sesson of home therapy (which is very boring).  The total exercise is
good for me.

Ran today's supply of liquefied clay through screenwire, and as
expected, the only things that didn't go through was a tiny, tiny amount
of sand (maybe a teaspoonful out of nearly 4 gallons of clay), and small
root hairs.

A side benefit of all this is that my hostas planted in this only
partially developed wooded area are getting lots more care and water.

Betsy