Corrections to Mito No Hana and Amime Tachi Giboshi

  • Subject: Corrections to Mito No Hana and Amime Tachi Giboshi
  • From: Jim Hawes <hawesj@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 23:59:03 -0400

This post is intended to help clarify some obvious mix-ups and errors
made in descriptions of the two subject hostas which are presented in
the Hosta Library. The source of my information is personal experience
and correspondence with Toyozo Nakayama in Japan who was the indirect
source of the importation of both hostas into the U.S. In correspondence
from Toyozo to Bill Nash, Toyozo clarified details which I will attempt
to summarize. Bill  Nash has lost this correspondence but I have it on
file if further proof is needed..

H. Mito No Hana is a sieboldii  selection from Japan, introduced by
Tenjin Yama Bunen Nursery located in  Mito  City, Ibaragi Prefecture,
Japan. Yoyozo Nakayama sent it to Bette Comfry who gave me a division. I
provided Alex Summers with a division at Bette's request. She later sold
her collection to Van Wade which included a plant of Mito No Hana. It
has been tested and has proved to be free of virus X.

H. 'Amime Tachi Giboshi' is a selection of rectifolia , introduced by
Kuroishi Wildflower Farm located in Kuroishi City ,  Ibaragi Prefecture,
Japan. Toyozo provided Bette Comfry with a plant which she donated to
the AHS auction, not knowing it was infected with virus X. Upon testing
it, it proved to be infected and Bette destroyed all plants she had .
Meanwhile, Toyozo provided me with a plant of Amime. Mine was a similar
but perhaps a different individual plant from Bette's plant. I did not
destroy my plant but put it into isolation. It has outgrown the virus, I
believe, while in tissue culture and is now almost all green instead of
the typical plant with yellow veins.

The two plants are different plants although they appear to be similar
in appearance. They  should not become confused with each other. I hope
you will use  this more correct information  instead of the
significantly erroneous write-up prepared   by your Hosta Library
Committee. The correct spelling of the Japanese horticultural name is H.
(sieboldii) 'Mito No Hana', not Mitono Hana.

Jim Hawes