Re: No Fences?

Marie,

Maybe your wild spaces are farther from your homes.  Quite often, even in
small cities like the one I live in, there are wooded patches of land
sprinkled within the areas with paved streets and landscaped gardens.

Most people here do not fence their front yards, only their back ones.  I
had deer our first winter here in a bed I maintain alongside the driveway to
the street.  Imagine my dogs' surprise!  There were three of them, sort of
absently checking out the pansies.  And two Old English Sheepdogs raging at
the long library window, unwilling to believe their eyes.

The majority of my hostas, and I only have about a dozen, I guess, are in
that front shade bed.  The deer have not bothered them and they didn't
bother the snapdragons I put in last fall for winter color.  The plant
nurseries around here routinely hand out sheets of information on what deer
really like and what they don't.

Ann James
Conroe, Texas