Preen and Oil on Hostas

  • Subject: Preen and Oil on Hostas
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 09:21:02 -0500

Gentle People:

Am going to use Preen for the first time. Have read all the label stuff
with a microscope but find I have a couple of questions.What is the best
way to apply it. I don't care for using the container in that way.It does
not mention using it around raspberries and blueberries? Any experience.
Does it live up to it claims?  I use a lot of mulch. Is it better to put it
below the mulch or will placing it on top work out OK? Are there any horror
stories? Thanks. Glen

P.S. Just a non sequitor. My brother used his chainsaw to trim some massive
100 year old lilacs. He oiled the chain. Beneath these trees were a bed of
blue hostas. I finally got to the spot 2 days later and found the leaves
with gorgeous round dots of various sizes covering all of the leaves.  Thet
are quite remarkable and several garden visitors have asked where they
could buy such hostas. The oil seems to have not done any damage to the
leaves after 6 weeks. H. 'Cynthia' is in the same bed and this too now has
a new layer of blotches. If you should happen to see such a leaf in some
cut leaf show........

"Depression is just the anger without enthusiasm." Steve Wright
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
05156