Re: Hosta Criticism/ Not for Sale

  • Subject: Re: Hosta Criticism/ Not for Sale
  • From: CBCTPLANT@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 09:49:14 EDT

Hi Glen,
I have a list from just a few weeks ago. It was a thread called Not For Sale and started with Cornelia's lament about Mostly Ghostly. So you are not alone in your late summer grumpiness.
I went back and pulled out the names that came up.
I also set up a topic at the HostaLibrary voting booth on the home page of the Library.  It is set up to add your own cultivars to the list. The only problem is you can only vote on one!  I don't think there was a single Email response that only listed one ornery hosta.

Voting Booth,
Most over-rated or biggest disappointing hosta in growth or features ?

From the Emails that went back and forth on Hostapix, Phoenix and HostaOpen....here is a list:

1. Uzu no Mai
2. Exotic Frances Williams
3. Solar Flare (maybe just here in Northeast)
4. Fair Maiden (maybe just here in Northeast)
5. Mostly Ghostly
6. Subtlety
7. Pooh Bear ( maybe a Northeast thing)
8. High Kicker ( I love it but it is just 2 divisions after 10 years!)
9. Golden Bullion
10. Tattoo
11. Applecourt
12. White Christmas, Sea Thunder, Aristocrat, Stained Glass, White Wall Tires,       Tattoo, Cascades, Fair Maiden

13. 'American Dream'
14. Cherry berry (slow), Sea Thunder after 5 year starting to look like something, Flame Stitch on my list of plants I used to have, American Dream I liked better as smaller plant
15. Tattoo, Warwick Delight, Abba Irresistable, Hoosier Harmony
16. Snowcap

This list from Vancouver from 10- 1 of loosers...
10.  Great Expectations  (The variety with the most suitable name).
9. Frances Williams  (There is nothing I can do to stop the rust spots so I
stopped selling it).
8. Masquerade  (It won't stop turning all green).
7. Brim Cup  (The margins split and curl and it is an embarrassment to sell
it).
6. Sun Power  (Too many runts in this litter).
5. Sugar Plum Fairy  (Just won't grow for me).
4. Maruba Iwa                           "
3. Fair Maiden                           "
2. Sea Drift                  "
1.  The biggest waste of money was buying 200 liners of Ryan's Big One. I
had seen beautiful clumps at Convention time but all of mine were runts and
I sold not a one.            North Vancouver, B.C.

17. Tattoo  -- I'll keep crossing my fingers
18. Flame Stitch -- gone and forgotten
19. Sun Power  -- gone and forgotten
20. Lemon Meringue -- gone and forgotten twice now!
21. On Stage --  gone and well u know.

22. Pandora's Box   shrinks every year
23. I forgot to add Cherry Berry and Island Charm.
Cherry Berry is almost gone at last check and
Island charm.... Long gone.  Lord how I babied
that plant.

24. Flame Stitch
25. White Hot
26. Helen Doriot
I will also agree on Mostly Ghostly--that is what it became in less than a year One of these days I might find a place that Pizzazz will do well

From Northeast Ohio:
Sea Thunder is one slug-bitten crown after 4 years - it's never grown at
all. But that one crown comes back each year, so I'll keep it just in case.
Fair Maiden  doesn't do anything at all in my yard. A real dud.
Granary Gold was beautiful the first full year after I planted it.
Since then, it just doesn't do well.
Donahue's Piecrust was a gift from a garden pal.  I planted it, and by
the following year it was, sadly, history.
Summer Music isn't happy at my place, either. One little crown.

And to wrap up all that was mentioned.......this is sage advice.....

I'm in the NE, more or less, and 'Island Charm' is a one-eye plant
for me after three years (two of them, that did not even show their
faces last year).

The funny thing is that, presuming them dead and gone, I allowed a
backhoe (putting in another hydrant) to put one of its "feet" right
where they used to be, and the weight of it made a deep dent in the
ground.  Out of the dent rose IC!

The moral of the story:  if a hosta won't grow for you, park a
backhoe on top of it.
In going back over the Emails, I see that certain names come up again and again, others that are losers in some regions are real winners in another region. The topic certainly engaged a number of passionate hosta lovers!  And I guess it disproves the statement:
I've never met a hosta I didn't love.

cb
Carol in CT   z6/5