Re: H. 'Something Different'plus Blue Sum and Sub

  • Subject: Re: H. 'Something Different'plus Blue Sum and Sub
  • From: njhosta@hotmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 12:41:22 -0400

Hi Glen,
        When I visited Walters Gardens, I noticed in their large fields of
'Hyacinthina' that some of the plants were very glaucous. If you've seen
'Kiwi Full Monty', you know how glaucous they can get. This seems to be a
natural variability from one to the next, but at Walters they may have
divided and lined out several distinct sports over the many years those
plants have been there. This might mean that those were odd sports with more
wax, perpetuated and mixed together, or it may just be variability. The more
glaucous ones seem to stay that way, though, so they are probably separate
         Anyway, 'Sum and Substance' seems to also do this. In the picture
of my 'Winter Snow' plant at the Library, what you see is actually two
plants planted together. I had selected them for good margins at two
different nurseries. They looked alike when I bought them, but when they
came up the next year one was dark-centered and fairly glaucous, and the
other was much lighter and shiny. After a few weeks, they end up looking
alike as you can see in the picture.
         Hostas are still full of mysteries and we don't really understand
much of what happens with them. Even asexually propagated, some show
remarkable variability, which in turn can stay through further propagation.
One of the strangest areas is margin width. From the TC 'Liberty' I've seen
so far, the super-wide margins of the one pictured in the Library (which no
longer has those great margins) are just not there in any of them. They do
look clearly wider than normal 'Sagae's at that age, though. I would guess
that the mechanism for margin width and the mechanism for the amount of wax
(possibly the structure of the wax too) are of a similar type. Whether this
involves transposable elements or not, I don't know, but those two traits
and possibly others that are less obvious seem to behave in a similar
matter. They produce divisions that are variable and this can be fixed in
future divisions.
         And now for 'Something Different'. It's a sport of 'Gold Standard'
with a center that is lighter on emergence, and is clearly different at that
time. This new center tissue is also slower-growing. It tends to be
viridescent later in the season, and does this in varying ways depending of
the growing conditions, and possibly too the age of the plant. There are
other sports out there, most notably 'Brenda's Beauty', which are also
stabilized sports from GS with lighter centers early on. It's possible these
have become mixed up in the trade. A while back, I collected and stabilixed
about a dozen GS sports, and they seem to behave differently from year to
year. One white centered one later showed green veins in the white, but the
new leaves of the second flush were green with a bright yellow blotch in the
center. The next year it was pretty drab by comparision.

...........Bill Meyer