Re: Fairy Ring hosta question

  • Subject: Re: Fairy Ring hosta question
  • From: Pat Mora amora44@comcast.net
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 08:29:07 -0500

Tom:
    On the Fairy Ring thing, I once saw a film on this. The speaker did not
think it was a problem. He says a Hosta is given only a certain amount of
meristems for the development of new shoots from the crown, when the center
depletes that given amount (when a plant is constantly divided, the mother
plant seldom retains its strength or growth to be come the giant it was
originally, fewer meristems remaining). The plant then depends on the
exterior, newer growth to perpetuate the plant. His remedy was to use a post
hole digger in the center of the ring and simply drop in a new plant.
    This looked simple in the film and an idea I have not heard discussed in
the past.

Pat