Re: Zumbarizing

  • Subject: Re: Zumbarizing
  • From: HoroRL@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 08:20:32 EDT

In a message dated 8/22/2002 10:22:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ranbl@netsync.net writes:

There are four methods used for crown divison/multiplication.  They are Bud Cuttings (Alex Summers method)  Rossizing, ( the method introduced by Henery Ross)  Zumberizing, (Bill Zumbar)  and Bud Isolation , ( Ran Lydell's method.)

Good morning, all:

Thank you Ran for the description of each method.  I realized that I have been doing Rossing/Zumbarizing wrong all these years.  I have been dividing the bud by removing a leaf; pushing the sharp knife through the bud; and continuing down through the basal plate.  This explains why the next spring the hosta do not multiply.  The 'method' I was using must have been killing the dormant bud for the following year's growth...a big duhhhh!!!!!!!!

Hostally,

Rich Horowitz
Stoughton MA