Fugitive Hostas

  • Subject: Fugitive Hostas
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 12:15:50 -0500

 A Great Sunday morning here in Vermont,

There are a number of dramatic "fugitive" hostas out there, where one
pattern appears early  (or even late) in the season and by virtue of
coloration the plant appears to be  two completely different hostas. There
are any number of plain colored viridescent hostas that go from yellow/gold
to green by the end of the season. There is probably a better word that
"fugitive" and I expect I will hear about it if there is a professional
hosta term. Be that as it may, what really interests me are hostas like H.
'Photo Finish', H. 'Jim Mathews', and H. 'Love Burst'. In these two hostas
one (at least I do) has a very limited time to enjoy the distinct design
that occurs early in the season.  In the case of both these plants (at
least for me) the more immature the plant the greater the pattern contrast.
They need a lot of light to have the original pattern emerge. Sometimes by
cutting them and moving I can reestablish a pattern which has disappeared.
My H. 'Love Burst ' is lucky to last a week. These two hostas , because of
the dramatic coloration, strike me different that H. 'Cynthia', H.
'Filigree' , H. 'Kiwi Forest', and perhaps H. 'Xanadu Paisley', where the
design appears because of a light and dark green, or a yellow green and a
bluer green- although this gets to be pretty subjective color
interpretation.  What I am interested in is a list of other hostas that
would fit into either of these two types.  Of course H. 'Gold Standard' and
a number of other plants are  completely different hostas depending on the
amount of sunlight/shade in which they are grown. This seems to me to be a
different phenomenon, although the three types of hostas all respond to
shade and light. Can anyone name  some other "fugitive" hostas?  Thanks ,

P.S. In an unrelated matter, does anyone have a streaked H.  'Cherry Berry'?

"Depression is just the anger without enthusiasm." Steve Wright
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
Tel: 802-885-2839