Losers, Difficult, etc.

  • Subject: Losers, Difficult, etc.
  • From: "Hank Zumach" zumach@execpc.com
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:31:47 -0500

HI All--I did not intend to cause upset when I suggested the Loser's Lane list for the Hosta Library.  I do believe that it is a good idea to have a list of plants at the Library that the average, newer gardener should avoid.  That is what I am hoping to accomplish.  I realize that the size of a plant does not make it either a good or bad plant.  I have many dwarf sized and large sized varieties and enjoy (almost) all of them.  However,  when I buy a plant that is supposed to be large sized and I can only grow it to dwarf dimensions, something is amiss.  When a lot of folks have the same problem with a given variety, something is really wrong.  I think W. George's comments said a lot.  So, keep the nominations coming.  Perhaps the name of the list at the Hosta Library will be something more diplomatic than Loser's Lane, but I do think a listing of troublesome/difficult/problematic/losers is still a good idea.
Hank Zumach
Stoddard, WI