For Minnesota hosta lovers only

  • Subject: For Minnesota hosta lovers only
  • From: HMinnesota@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:14:18 EDT

From: Thmscrlsn@aol.com
Full-name: Thmscrlsn
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:12:23 EDT
Subject: Fwd: Tom Carlson's HostasDirect to open Tuesday, August 26th
To: HMinnesota@aol.com, tomcarlson@comcast.net

 File: HostasDirectGardenGenesis.ZIP (81112 bytes) DL Time (TCP/IP): <1
minute

Many of you and others have asked me to notify you when my business opens -
here is the scoop.

Just in case you are going to the State Fair and want to swing by, or, you or
your friends are interested in Hostas, I am going to be having my first sale
at HostasDirect starting Tuesday, August 26.  I was hoping to open earlier
this year but have had too many contractors and projects going on.

If you are not interested in Hostas, please feel free to send this e mail to
your friends that might be interested.  Frankly, I think I might have the best
Hosta nursery in town and they may want to know about the business.  I will
be advertising on local streets trying to attract some of the 1 million people
going to the state fair.  In case you don't know it, Hostas are the number one
selling plant in North America.

Here is the scoop on the Hostas and my business, HostasDirect (will have a
web site up called HostasDirect.Com this winter)

1)  Have over 410 different varieties of Hostas that are all on sale -
possibly the largest selection of Hostas for sale in Minnesota as far as I know.

2)  All plants are labeled with detailed information about size, growth rate,
sun resistance, slug resistance, leaf size, leaf color, vein count, scape
height, bloom color, fragrant and other detailed information.  "Sport" parent
plants of the parent Hosta the plant is derived from is also noted.

3)  Most plants are fully mature - 5 to 7 years old.  This means they have
mature and huge root systems - not the root bound plants infant plants that you
see at some plant nurseries.  And, there are likely many dormant buds ready to
explode next spring into larger plants.

4)  At HostasDirect you can see what mature Hostas look like.  Most Hostas
change and mature with age - you cannot see those changes with the small plants
that you see at plant nurseries.

5)  We offer the top 20 or more rated Hostas in quantity as rated by members
of the American Hosta Society.  And, they are mature.

6)   We offer different sizes from dwarfs to huge giants.

7)  We offer a wide varieties of colors, textures, shapes, forms, blooms and
more.

8)  Plants have been grown in premium, amended soil conditions for Hostas for
maximum plant development.

9)  Hostas are dug and sold to you as bare root plants.  This means we cut a
portion of a growing plant off, knock some or all of the soil off, (or have
them pre-dug waiting in water buckets)  wrap the cutting in wet newspapers, wrap
the newspaper in plastic bags and place a rubber binder around it for you to
take home.  We also include plastic or paper plant label name and information
so that you can remember what you have purchased.

10)  This is a good time of year to transplant Hostas - they will get
established this fall and make it through the winter and come up fresh in the spring.
 You do not need to put them in the ground immediately, they are tough.  But,
the sooner the better.

11)  Plants are free of diseases.  There are some slug holes on a very few.

12)  Frankly, there are a few plants that are a little beat up from the wind
or grown in a little too much sun, but they will be perfect next spring in
your garden.

13)  You can see Hostas at HostasDirect in just about every setting - full
sun, deep shade, slopes, mixed with other plants, and more.

14)  If you wish to get on the e mail or mailing list, you can provide me
your info via e mail or while you are here.

15)  We are only accepting cash and checks at this time - no credit cards

16)  You will be able to ask questions of a self proclaimed Hostas expert,
namely, me.  I am a member of three Hosta societies, read trade journals, and
keep current on the Internet web sites.

17)  I have information regarding the garden's history, vendors I have used
in my garden for everything from labeling equipment, labels, landscape
architects, Hosta societies, Internet sites, and more on the attached e mail.

18)  People in HostasDirect tee shirts and hats are obviously the workers.
There may be some Roseville Basketball Players here earning money for their
program.

19)  I am also attaching an Excel spread sheet file with pricing and details
of each plant for sale.  You can print and fax back to me with ordering
information if you want to make sure your plants are reserved or to save time.

If you are interested in buying Hostas, I would encourage you to bring some
plastic or newspaper to line your trunk, car or mini van with.

As is standard in the trade, in general, we provide one to two shoots (pips)
off of a currently growing Hosta.

Pricing - our plants are competitively priced.  We use a current data base as
our reference point from growers around the country.  We feel our plants are
very high quality, grown in the best of soils, and in an environment you will
enjoy.  Sorry, I do not negotiate.  My plants are top quality and the prices
are more than fair.

Hours will be from 8 AM to 8 PM - when it opens Tuesday,  August 26th, and
will continue through Labor Day Sept 1.  After that I might have some private
showing or another sale - not sure yet.

You enter my property at your own risk.  I will not be liable for any
injuries you incur while here.  Watch your step - there are many terraces walls, some
slopes, gravel, and more!

HostasDirect is located at the Northwest corner of Mid Oaks Road and Roselawn
Ave.  Two blocks west of the intersection of Snelling Avenue and Roselawn -
about 3/4 miles north of the Minnesota State Fair.

Hosta la vista,

Tom Carlson

Thomas S. Carlson
As of June 30, 2003 - some of my e mail is switching to
tomcarlson@comcast.net
19 Mid Oaks Road
Roseville, MN  55113-5612

H:  651-646-1514