Re: Growing bigger hostas

  • Subject: Re: Growing bigger hostas
  • From: ranbl@netsync.net
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:13:57 -0400 (EDT)

Part 2
The results? ~~~
Your now big hostas are really "soft" they will be subject to wind
damage, Much more apt to be damaged by slugs.  Twigs and hail will cause
more tearing on the leaves.  They will ve more ape to ge prone to
"Southern Blight"  Nemitode infestations will show more.  Worst of all
you will "age " the clump rapidly.  That results in a dead or open
center, with a sort of ring of material around the top.  At best you
will see your plants appear to flatten out on the top profile.  By all
means fertlize lightly with a "timed Release" fertlizer, and give them
plenty of water.  Start them in good soil.  But I think it is a mistake
to "push" them.
Thanks
Ran
 I would like to know what everyone does to grow