Re: H. 'Thumb Nail' or 'Suzuki Thumbnail'

  • Subject: Re: H. 'Thumb Nail' or 'Suzuki Thumbnail'
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" <alietzow@myfamily.com>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 21:45:18 -0500

Dear George, and interested investigators,

By George, I think you've got it!  I should have known you would have the answer!!!   The shiny leaves on both SUZTHU and pulchella lead me to believe that this is a dominant gene, that it is transmissable from the pollen parent, and thus the gene which controls shiniest is nuclear.

Ben shows the picograms of DNA for pulchella (avg) at 21.7.  The average for venusta is 17.3.    If we add together the 1C values for pulchella and venusta, respectively 10.85 and 8.65, the sum is 19.5pg.   If I understand Ben correclty from past communications, the predicted DNA weight for Suzuki Thumbnail should be just a little less than 19.5 (19.5 - the weight of the mtDNA and cpDNA not transferred from the pollen parent).  Now what's left to do is run the test!   SUZTHU should come up about 19.4pg.

I already have a pretty good idea that pulchella is the unknown pollen parent, from your communication.   Now I want to understand how two genomes combine which could be useful for predictive ancestral analysis.   Ben has tried to explain this before but my brain had not been primed...

Thank you!

Andrew