TATTOO Re: new introductions

  • Subject: TATTOO Re: new introductions
  • From: "Jennifer A. Bishop" <jb@dataways.com>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 22:40:58 -0500

At 11:21 PM 08/01/2004 EDT, you wrote:
>Butch, I have killed it three times.  Twice I paid a fair amount for it and
>the other time I took one from a friend and it disappear within three months.
>Just for fun lets see how many people have had success growing Tattoo?  How
>many have had it disappear slowly?
>Narda Miller
>Z6, SW OH

I have had Tattoo planted in my garden now for two seasons.  It sat in the
pot and
got buried in the compost pile the first winter because I did not get a chance
to plant it out before it got to cool in the evening to be having newly planted
hosta out there.  When I dug it out of the compost pile I figured it was a
because it really only threw off 2 tiny leaves in the two months it sat waiting
to go in the ground.  I finally got the opportunity to plant it last year (2003)
and it put out a couple of more leaves and then we had an early fall/winter and
I figured that was it for it.  However, this spring it came back with a couple
more leaves and now is looking like it might be a nice plant once it grows
up.  It currently is a nice little mound and is on it way I hope.  I knew it
was a TC when I bought it so I did not expect a lot of from it in the
Here in Zone 3 we have to be very patient with TC plants because they take
some time to settle in.  I am confident that it will become a very nice
plant with a little extra care and TLC. But, if I end up croaking it...oh well,
I tried and it's not like I haven't killed a hosta before ... if you know
what I mean.
I honestly believe that not all hosta are meant for all people.  Some we have
luck with and some we don't.  I would give anything to be able to grow
Great Expectations like I have seen in pictures but I know it is not to be in
my growing conditions...I think we just have to live with that fact and not get
to upset if a hosta dies now and then..it happens.

Good questions.  Thanks for asking it.

Jennifer A. Bishop
Zone 3
Winnipeg MB CA