Re: Great Expectations

  • Subject: Re: Great Expectations
  • From: "Jennifer A. Bishop" <jb@dataways.com>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:05:30 -0500

At 09:28 AM 08/02/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>I've moved 'Great Expectations' three times.  First two attempts--enough
>to make a person give up.  But they say that a plant deserves three
>tries.  So I tried. And now it is absolutely beautiful--positively
>One hosta I would never give up: 'Lakeside Black Satin.'  Just a
>Eleanor, Zone 5, 30 miles west of Lake Michigan

I also moved Great Expectations three time and the third time I kept it in a
pot, close to the house so I can see it all the time and give it good
water and feed.  I am happy with how it is
performing but not thrilled.  I think that in my Zone 3 climate it
just doesn't have enough time to reach it full potential before the
frost gets it because it comes out of the ground so late in the

If you love 'Lakeside Black Satin' you should try 'Lakeside Little Tuft'
of 'Lakeside Explosion'....they are both TDF in my garden.  I have found
that because I really do have severe growing conditions that not all
hosta do well for me, but, the Lakeside ones all seem to do well with the
exception of 'Lakeside Lollipop'..go figure.  It is there but, I would like
it to be so much more.  I have often thought that I should grow it in a
pot, bring it in for the winter, force it to go dormat and then bring it
out under light to get it growing early for the season...but am not sure how to
force dormacy on Hosta.

Jennifer A. Bishop
Zone 3
Winnipeg, MB CA