Re: new introductions--Tattoo vs. GE, etc.

  • Subject: Re: new introductions--Tattoo vs. GE, etc.
  • From: michael shelton <wilddog_202@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 16:01:20 -0700 (PDT)

Butch say;
lets talk about GE
everyone wants a good one because they look so good
i talked about what i got out of the lab so only 20%
do even reasonably well
find someone who has a good plant and but, barter for
a division
i one out of thousands that is very vigorous and when
i divide it i do get nice plants
--- michael shelton <wilddog_202@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Butch says; to Andrew
>
> Since I also don't know you from Adam, your right
> that
> I should not have taken such a strong position.
>
> And let me apologize and I will try to do better.
>
> One question before I go on, as a "lay geneticist"
> do
> you know if Tele-Evangelist do more than lay people?
>
> I to dropped off because while not allowing myself
> be a pin cushion and my willingness to take up the
> fight of someone who seemed to be a pin cushion, I
> did
> become weary of the fights and politics.
>
> The question of a "Good Housekeeping Seal" is only
> valuable inside the AHS. And, I don't really like
the
> [...]
> > I'm gaining on it.
> >
> > The reason I brought up Tattoo was that a few
> folks
> > here were talking about timing for bringing new
> > introductions to the public.  Ran mentioned that
> his
> > standard is to resist the temptation to introduce
> > new plant until it has been tried and proven.   I
> > agree with this NEARLY wholeheartedly (you don't
> > know me, so you don't know that in my garden I
> have
> > a special tribute area to Ran Lydell--I hold him
> and
> > his opinion in very high regard), yet I made the
> > comment that the registration process should not
> be
> > considered to be something like a "Good
> Housekeeping
> > Seal of Approval".  It serves a different purpose.
>

> > New plants need testing, in-situ--i.e. onsite, out
> > in the field.  Because TC Labs are ex-situ
> > environments, they are useful for reasons that you
> > apparently know full well.  Unfortunately, good
> > results in the lab do not always translate to good
> > results in the garden.  New intros, which haven't
> > had extensive in-situ testing, can be sold to a
> > limited audience of collectors and above average
> > gardeners, and IMO, such practice serves the
> > industry well.  We need to know how these things
> > grow in Zones 3-9, and how they grow for the above
> > average gardener before they are rolled out to the
> > average gardener.
> >
> > Part of why technically oriented folks like myself
> > go on Hosta tours is to see how well the new and
> > different intros are doing in other's gardens and,
> > when we study the ancestry of the good growers, we
> > gain valuable information for hybridizing.  So,
> when
> > a bad grower hits the mass market, it's not the
> > people who are broken, it's the process.
> > Fortunately, processes can be fixed!
> >
> > Beyond garden tours, where can we talk of such
> > things?  Email lists!  From this list, I was
> seeking
> > productive conversation, like what Narda
> > recommended, to determine how many growers or
> > gardeners are having good luck with Tattoo.  And,
> if
> > you were one of them, I'd love to hear what you're
> > doing to get it to grow!  :-)
> >
> > Personally, I have no trouble growing GE but I
> have
> > learned to count myself fortunate.  I have two
> > clumps; one now a monster, after 12 years (Marvin
> > has a photo in his "Excellent Photos" section) and
> > the other is starting to take off from TC plants.
> > Though some percentage of gardeners DO have
> trouble
> > with this plant, I DO NOT believe this is due to
> > inferior genetics.  It's a microclimate issue and
> > I'm quite certain that you would find this to be
> > true in nearly ALL instances where GE does not
> > perform well.
> >
> > When people see my GE, some ask, "How did you get

=== message truncated ===
http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail