Re: Great Expectations

  • Subject: Re: Great Expectations
  • From: michael shelton <wilddog_202@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 10:31:40 -0700 (PDT)

Butch Says;

George I produced hardwood mulch at a compost facility
like you see on Victory Garden with huge piles moved
around with 5 yard front end loaders. Since it was my
business I studied compost and researched its use and
value. For those interested get on the net and start
looking for work on mulch.

One of the biggest things I learned is how hard if not
impossible to change the basic soil anywhere. But if
you apply compost from a local producer who is
composting local green and brown material it will
change the main growing area (down say 12 inches)
greatly. Apply 3 inches per year and after about 3
years it will eat up about an amount equal to the new
application. This is done by the normal process of
nature turning debris in to soil. The most important
part is a fungus called Glamoles (a lady at USDA did
ground breaking work Ha HA) which turns the compost
into is basic ions.

The biggest thing is DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT till it in
which interferes with the process. I have grown hosta
that a horse can't jump over in heavy clay soil as red
a your Ga red clay with only compost as fertilizer.
The big advantage to this natural process is the
plants are more drought, water, disease, pest
resistant than any form of planting method such as
sphagnum, pro-mix and all the fancy planting holes
people use. As the compost decomposes it migrates down
into the soil and alters the soil. It may need a
little nitrogen but that's all and of course compost
tea is all the same process I'm talking about.

If you follow this process Ph will not be a problem
regardless of where you are, GA, IA, KY. If you make
this 2-4 inch application of mulch in the fall it will
also slow down spring emergence which saves those late
frost problems.

--- "W. George Schmid" <hostahill@Bellsouth.net>

 I don't fertilize it

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail