)) *HELP IS ON IT'S WAY* | Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:06:23" />

Re: Moving large hosta (via rhizome division?) "hehe" :>)) *HELP IS ON IT'S WAY*

  • Subject: Re: Moving large hosta (via rhizome division?) "hehe" :>)) *HELP IS ON IT'S WAY*
  • From: "Bill Nash" <raffi@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 10:06:11 -0400

HI'DARLINS (Barbi & Sandi)

I do have some selections from "Let's Streak" (my seed strain, for
variegated results?), and which, are into the propagation stage however, I
haven't taken any pictures of them this year.  Seems to me: we are having a
terrible summer this year, in as far as, the needed foot-candles of many
sunny days required (for good vegetable production?); plus too much rain is
coming down; with too many cloudy days on top of that... mostly?  As one
example, I am presently harvesting 'Garlic', which I supply to a few 'Fruit
& Veggie Open Air Markets' for their retailing,  well, the size of my bulbs,
is like, half the size of last year's crop.  I am wondering what I can do
with many thousands of garlic-bulbs, which are the size of ACORNS and are
too small for selling? NEEDLESS TO SAY, this is my last year, at growing
garlic commercially.   I am working with some new hybrid garlic seed strains
of my own, and this is all I will do in the future (for my own family uses
only (Aunts, Uncles Cousins and friends included?).  Of course, the hostas
and weeds "Do love this kind of weather we are having this summer, er so
they tell me?". <and YES! ..this is a direct anthropomorphic statement> ;>))
<wink>

I have a couple of hosta selections from Let's Streak, which were worthy of
further propagation, and I am doing this.  One is a yellow through lime
green basic leaf colour, with white edging (a super slow grower, but I'm up
to a dozen nice plants now).  Another selection, is a ruffly (piecrusted?)
leaf edged type (leaf and clump habit is comparable to lancifolia hosta, but
my selection, has a neat white AND RUFFLED/rippled margin on it.  Many of my
selections from Let's Streak, have red petioles.  If it doesn't rain today,
I'll try to remember to make a digi-pix of these.  I have appointments to
make some garlic deliveries today (since there are a few large saleable
bulbs?) -- even tho' -- this was a CROP FAILURE garlic growing season, for
me. :>)) "hehaw -- shit happens!"

Another item, which has kind of raised my enthusiasm of hybridizing a bit,
came out of my 'Big Blue White Flowering' seed-strain (the Line In-breeding
of H. Ryan's Big One?).  In the past ten years, I've likely grown millions
of seedlings, in my line breeding trials of RBO, but I have never seen a
single yellow leaf hosta form appear in the kids, that is to say, until a
couple of years ago (I found one plant?).  Now I have a dozen of these
seedling-kind ( having nice large yellow leaves) , so my next step in
breeding these Yellow-babes,  is to cross the best two sisters, and
hopefully, tighten the yellow aspect even more, in it's genetic pool?  I
already have a super yellow hosta, large form, and which, grows very well in
full/direct sunlight, having a 36" leaf height (except this bitch is
STERILE?) "Hehe" <laugh>

On another Hosta Hybridizing front, and regarding the hosta known as
Katsuragawa Beni (that red in it's leaf hosta thingy found in Japan in 1997,
via AHS treking into Japan; and said, to be a longipes type?), well, it
seems to me: that this is a pretty good "red herring" specimen-hosta:
showing tremendous SLUG BAIT talents & results and quite a runty-small-plant
to boot,  so naturally, I'm thinking that this plant is not a derivative of
the longipes species at all?  <<and please note: that this is a question>  I
do have this plant, in my line breeding trials, so I still do have high
hopes on the RED IN LEAF aspect of this Plant's potential, as a breeder?

FROM cold-Cadana-land -- be well, and love to all

raffi@sympatico.ca (Bill Nash Guelph Ontario Canada Zone 3)  (we are zone 4,
but it feels like a zone colder, even in summer, eh?)

and I wanted to send y'all some *NASHTY'humour* via a digi-pix, so maybe I
will via www.yahoogroups.com/hostapix... look/see?  :>)) <smile/winkin>

ps..  AND GIRLS?... I stopped my individual mail delivery from Hostapix, for
my summer fun outside (OFF COMPUTER?).  Notwithstanding, I will try to get
some digi pix out to y'all later on, if I remember to take some, that is?