Re: Any experienced Metal Halide Users

  • Subject: Re: Any experienced Metal Halide Users
  • From: michael shelton <wilddog_202@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:01:25 -0700 (PDT)

This was my experience with tc plants just out of the
test tube, which should apply but maybe not.

Day length: I left them on 24/7 with no ill effect. I
found that any on/off cycle seemed to cause the plants
to attempt to go thru the whole cycle
bloom-flower-dormancy and I think you want to get as
much growth as possible.

Dormancy: After a period of time (about 9 months) they
did not die, but they did stand still. Others may have
experience to change the effect that i found. After I
found I could not keep them growing I then took these
trays outside and covered with mulch completely to a
depth of about 2 inches and waited for spring. After a
period of dormancy (I never determined how long) they
can be forced out of dormancy and start the cycle
again.

Water/mist: I potted in 2 1/2 deep pots and sat the
pots in a tray that I kept water in constantly. I've
reported many times that hosta cannot be over watered
unless you drown the crown. Periodically you will need
to leach the pot and clean the tray because of salt
buildup. Fertilizer very sparingly because the
fertilizer does not run thru and out. Your keeping
virtually all of the ingredients in the tray so what
isn't taken up by the plant will buildup in the tray.

I know how much you want to speed up the process but
you may find better results with something along these
lines.

Under lights you may not get true colors causing you
to cull seedlings improperly.

You asked for help so report back with what you find
and the results you get with whatever method you
decide on.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail