Re: Any experienced Metal Halide Users

  • Subject: Re: Any experienced Metal Halide Users
  • From: halinar@open.org
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 08:47:09 -0700

>Anyone have any experience with Metal Halide lights for growing

You've gotten some good advice on using a lighting system for your
hostas, but I have another question - why all the effort?  May years
ago I tried growing lilies and daylilies indoors during the winter in
the hope of speeding up their flowering.  Basically, it didn't make
much difference.

The way I see it, the lights are going to cost you anywhere from $500
to $1000 to run for a year and chances are most of the seedlings you
will be growing will end up being turned into compost anyway.  That
makes from some very expensive compost.  From a practical point of
view you can only grow a limited number of hostas under lights.  You
can grow thousands of times more seed outdoors and with decent
fertilizering and weed control you should be able to do a decent
selection after the first year.  Growing the seedlings outdoors may be
slower for what you want to do, but you compensate by growing a lot
more seed and after you get the cycle growing there won't be any
difference between growing them outdoors and trying to force them

Joe Halinar