Hosta Seed Maturation

  • Subject: Hosta Seed Maturation
  • From: Jaspersail@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:03:04 -0400

Bill Nash wrote:

<<The seed-ripening-process, takes a minimum of ten weeks, after pollination, for seed to become fully ripe, [er so I've seen  (a Doctor Ben Zonneveld quote?)]>>

I'm not sure what "fully ripe" means, but in a limited trial I conducted last summer, my data suggests less than half that time is required for successful germination.  At 30.5 maturation days between pollination and harvest/sowing, seed from a H. 'Korean Snow' x H. pycnophylla cross gave me a 43.5% germination rate.

From my small sample set with H. 'Korean Snow', the earliest hypocotyl (root) germination occurred in seeds that had developed for 24.5 days. The earliest hypocotyl and epicotyl (growing stem) germination occurred in seeds given 26.5 days to develop.  These results came from immediate sowing of harvested seed with no storage or stratification.

Full data and results can be found in the current issue of the HostaScience Journal.

--John