Re: Hosta Seed Maturation

  • Subject: Re: Hosta Seed Maturation
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" <alietzow@myfamily.com>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 19:38:37 -0500

Dear John, Ben, Bill, George, All,

Thanks to all youse fellows for this very good conversation on "Hosta Seed Maturation".   This is why I love the Hosta-Open forum so much--it seems there are more technical discussion here.

It makes sense that germination from seed might be possible long before the first frost allows the seed pod to "loculicidally dehisce".   However, it's better to have some data collected on the topic and it looks like John has done just exactly that.

This leads me to believe that for some plants, I could harvest seed right now, but would certainly be safe by mid-September.  Such would give me about a month's growth on plants before I would normally be harvesting seed.  With a plant that takes five months to mature, the quicker we can get them growing, the better.

This is why I'm such a loud voice supporting subscribing to the Journal of Hosta Science, in addition to the THJ.  SO many good articles in there to help the fledgling hybridizer.

Ciao,
Andrew Lietzow, in Des Moines, where we'll be harvesting the first batch of seed around labor day, instead of Oct. 5th.