Re: roundup

  • Subject: Re: roundup
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:37:48 -0400

Hi Kris,
      One possibility to consider is mice/rat poison. If you have houses
close by, a neighbor might be using one for pest control. These often don't
kill quickly and some attack the digestive system. A poisoned but still
living rat or mouse is just the sort of thing a dog might swallow. Also a
neighbor may have had an exterminator apply something. I saw a squirrel
dragging an entire bar bait nearly as big as it was once. I went and took it
away from it, mostly because I was worried it would leave it somewhere where
the dog would find it. At least the squirrel wasn't able to move it around
very fast. There's also the chance that the dog may have gotten into some
household chemicals when your mother-in-law unknowingly left a cabinet open.
      Anyway, there are things around that will poison pets if they can get
them. Some, like the bar bait, are designed to be eaten. We have to be
especially careful with those, and sometimes neighbors who don't have pets
aren't.
                                   ...........Bill Meyer

> Bill Meyer wrote:
>

> >        Do you think something else might have been the problem? If so,
the
> > problem may still exist there as a threat to other pets or even family
> > members. Were any other chemicals used where the dog may have been
exposed
> > to them? Roundup seems to be an unlikely source of the problem.
>
> Thanks for this, Bill. It had occurred to me that perhaps it was not the
> toxicity (because things can be toxic without being lethal, as I'm sure
you
> know) of the Roundup, but an allergic reaction by the [very small] dog to
the
> chemical. But she didn't die quickly of anaphylactic shock. She vomited
> profusely, became dehydrated, and dropped dead. The vet was completely
sure it
> was the Roundup since I had never had any chemicals in the yard before.
So, I