RE: roundup

  • Subject: RE: roundup
  • From: michael shelton <wilddog_202@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 16:56:30 -0700 (PDT)

Its not that your off on the thread but the point is:

Alfalfa will not necessarily hurt anything but they
(alfalfa pellets) do not add as much as we hope. AND
for many they are expensive. If you add organic matter
from whatever local source it will take care of all
the needs of your plant. Yes I said ALL.
Local; leaves from your yard, kitchen waste, shredded
newspaper, all things that are garbage for some. Your
own compost but put it on the plants as soon as
possible, there is loss in the compost pile that the
plants need (nitrogen for one).
Local; but making the circle wider: local compost
facility, mulch (whatever is local for you).
KY=hardwood  NC=pine and hardwood GA=pine needles
wherever you are there is a local mulch and it is the
best. Sawdust placed on top of the ground no more than
2 inches is fine but not the best. Sawdust does not
rob nitrogen unless you incorporate it into the soil
(anaerobic process).

All of these things break down and feed the plants but
they must be left alone. If you dig them in for
example then there is anaerobic activity which creates
alcohol which is very detrimental to plants. You
cannot do the natural process in any way.

There may be as many as 600,000,000 organisms in ONE
gram of soil working on the process. How can we equal
the complexity of nature. AND most of the things we do
interfere.

If you add to much nitrogen then you've selected for
bacteria and the fungal growth will be to low or
vice-versa. But allowing grass clippings to dry then
adding them will give you all the nitrogen you need
and eliminate any expense with alfalfa or chemical
fertilizer.

The big thing is all the magic elixir's like
greensand, alfalfa etc. add very little if any value
and they may hurt.

Finally if you have created a planting hole that is
similar to a container then you must wait for organic
matter (mulch) to fix the problem or feed the hole,
adjust the Ph, make sure drainage is proper then water
in drought situations. BIG OR you can plant, mulch and
God will take care of the rest.

If you want to jump start your plants make compost tea
and foliar feed in mild does. It will have microbes
that help prevent detrimental bacteria and fungal
problems. Some of the minerals such as nitrogen can be
taken up by the plants leaves and the balance will be
converted by the natural process of god turning
organic matter into a symbiotic system.

I should not have to but I can prove that God has a
plan that works. Walk away from any piece of land and
it will start to grow something and it will grow
abundantly. How fast and what depends on where you are
but it will grow something. The longer we (humans)
stay out of the way the more abundant it will be.