hosta seed pods

  • Subject: hosta seed pods
  • From: "M Singer" <nmb@ameritech.net>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 06:32:42 -0400

Anybody have a way of ripening seed pods with the scapes off the plant???

Any guidelines as to how mature the pod needs to be before this might be
successful???  Like.. if the pods are at least a month old the chances are
good, but if they're from last week forget it..

I know inquiring minds want to know.. we (Master Gardeners etc) volunteer to
work and clean public gardens, some of which have interesting plants.  In
some places the scapes are only allowed to remain until the next scheduled
clean-up day.  I can take them home.. but if there is no chance of ripening
them then it's kind of a waste of time.