Re: roundup

  • Subject: Re: roundup
  • From: michael shelton <wilddog_202@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:16:02 -0700 (PDT)

Butch says; Bill Meyer lets try to understand what Van
Wade is doing in his garden.

He has created a container system in the ground. When
I talked to him about this he was using Pro-Mix or one
of the prepared container mixes in large quantity.
Maybe 2 feet deep, then watering and feeding very
heavily as one must do with a container operation.
Container mixes have nothing that will grow plants so
we have to find such things as alfalfa, greensand,
etc. The main item is a fertilizer with trace elements
which allows us to grow outside the ground. Vna
appears to be growing in the ground but it is just
like a container.

There are problems with such systems. The plants are
not as disease, pest or drought resistant (we can fix
the water, but its expensive) so pesticide and
fungicides are needed more.

Many of the misconceptions about what to do in the
ground evolve out of container growing knowledge and
it simply does not go from one to the other.

Van of course is not doing anything wrong but do you
want your plants on a life support system and can we
afford it. When I was there he had one full time
employee who watered. There is one problem that the
hobby gardener can not easily fix and that is to much
water. Van can setup drainage systems to take care of
this but not all gardens can be outfitted with proper
drainage in heavy rain. Most gardens have a variety of
plants and one system does not fit all.

A commercial grower can monitor Ph, salt buildup,
burning with to much fertilizer, detrimental fungal
and bacteria, pest. Other things that won't come to
mind right now.

BIG BUT, applying the natural system is easy and it
works with out all of the problems and it is the
cheapest. If your using the natural system or allowing
a natural system (better term) to work then alfalfa
and all the other amendments are not necessary and may
actually get in the way.