soil

  • Subject: soil
  • From: michael shelton <wilddog_202@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:14:39 -0700 (PDT)

Please weight in because it is a subject I've studied
a great deal but trust me when i say i know less than
there is to know. I'm often heard to say "sometimes
the problem is not what you know but what you know
that ain't so".

I will concede this point to some extent but virus
over winter in the roots and crown not the dead
foliage. Some some pest eggs have been placed on the
leaves but most if not all will be killed by the
composting process in the new mulch. The bad bacteria,
fungus are in a constant battle with good bacteria,
fungus, etc. The natural process will prevail best
without our interference. Scary thought that God may
be able to take care of things without our help.

Now I do not say don't treat for pest, or things like
southern blight but only treat what you know is a
problem. Then only treat following label directions
carefully and only as long as you can identify a
problem. These treatments may upset the balance which
will make the problem more persistent. I treat
southern blight with household bleach mixed 10% with
water and drench the soil all around the area. BIG BUT
you cannot pretreat with bleach and if you over do it
you will change the Ph and allow other problems to
crop up.

If your more comfortable removing the hosta leaves do
it. I believe that the hosta leaves are the best food
for hosta after they are broken down by the process
but I have no scientific support for this except that
what regrows a forest is the reprocessing of leaves,
limbs, etc.