Re: NUMBERS IN HOSTA NAMES

  • Subject: Re: NUMBERS IN HOSTA NAMES
  • From: Giboshiman@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:51:11 EDT

In a message dated 8/28/2004 2:36:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
chick@bridgewoodgardens.com writes:

Actually, I'm not bored.  Does it say anywhere in there whether  digits
are allowed in hosta names?  That's really all I was wondering  about.

Chick

Chick I know it scares you when I send anything that relates to rules but  in
this case I think you will like the answer I am giving you to your  question!

The relevant sections ("articles") of the 2004 version of the code  follow:

19.15 For a cultivar name to be established on or after 1 January 1996, its
epithet must
consist of no more than 30 characters (Roman letters, numbers,  and permitted
punctuation marks or symbols) overall, excluding spaces and  the demarcating
marks.
Ex. 24.  After 1 January 1996 a name with the  cultivar epithet "Madame la
Comtesse Oswald de Kerchove de Denterghem" could not  be established.

19.16. A cultivar name may not be established if on or after 1 January  2004
its epithet
consists solely of a single letter or solely of Arabic or  Roman numerals.
Ex. 25.  Names containing the epithets "K", "400", and  "MMIV" cannot be
established, but the epithets "Hundred", "10 Downing Street",  "451 Ocean
Boulevard", "77 Sunset Strip", "Apollo 13", "Catch 22", "Henry VIII",  "Pope Leo X",
"4th July", and "Happy 21st Birthday" could be established.