Re: NUMBERS IN HOSTA NAMES

 Thanks Bill.  As usual you were a big help.

Chick

Bill Meyer wrote:

  Hi Chick,
         Glad you're not bored. What Kevin said means "yes".
                               ......Bill Meyer

    In a message dated 8/28/2004 2:36:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,    chick@bridgewoodgardens.com     writes:

    Actually, I'm not bored.  Does it say anywhere in there whether  digits
    are allowed in hosta names?  That's really all I was wondering  about.

    Chick

    Chick I know it scares you when I send anything that relates to rules but

  in

    this case I think you will like the answer I am giving you to your

  question!

    The relevant sections ("articles") of the 2004 version of the code

  follow:

    19.15 For a cultivar name to be established on or after 1 January 1996,

  its

    epithet must
    consist of no more than 30 characters (Roman letters, numbers,  and

  permitted

    punctuation marks or symbols) overall, excluding spaces and  the

  demarcating

    marks.
    Ex. 24.  After 1 January 1996 a name with the  cultivar epithet "Madame la
    Comtesse Oswald de Kerchove de Denterghem" could not  be established.

    19.16. A cultivar name may not be established if on or after 1 January

  2004

    its epithet
    consists solely of a single letter or solely of Arabic or  Roman numerals.
    Ex. 25.  Names containing the epithets "K", "400", and  "MMIV" cannot be
    established, but the epithets "Hundred", "10 Downing Street",  "451 Ocean
    Boulevard", "77 Sunset Strip", "Apollo 13", "Catch 22", "Henry VIII",

  "Pope Leo X",

    "4th July", and "Happy 21st Birthday" could be established.