 Well, there's another twist.  That's probably why I was told I couldn't
do it in the first place.

The only thing I can think of that I have in common with Dubya is that I
hate nuance, so I'll probably do it anyway if I feel like it.  It just
means that I can't register the plant as 'Bridgewood 0017'. Since I never
planned to do that anyway I guess the whole question was more a matter of
curiosity anyway because I started seeing names with digits in them after
I was told I couldn't do it.  I thought it was just another case of
people picking on me again.  Now I find that it's just one of those damn

Bobby Baxter - Wake Forest, NC wrote:

  Chick, I believe that the name Hosta 'Bridgewood 007' should be rejected
  based on Article 19.27, Ex. 48 of the February 2004 ICNCP.  Your proposed
  name could easily  be considered as a "collector's reference number" or
  hybridizers's seedling number.  Your proposed name also exceeds the 10
  character limit of 19.27 in how it relates to "coded epithets."  I think the
  ICNCP is clear in this regard as outlined on page 27 of the 2004 ICNCP.
  There are many nuances in The Code but I feel that once you start working
  with the ICNCP on a daily basis, then it becomes more clear and you can see
  the logic behind it.  When considering a new epithet, then you must only
  consider how the ICNCP affects each individual proposed name.
  You should not say that if "Name 1" is allowed, then "Name 2" must be
  allowed.  This is the comparision you mentioned in your letter between H.
  'Apollo 13' and H. 'Bridgeport 007'.  Article 19.16 addresses the proposed
  name of H. 'Apollo 13' and Article 19.27 addresses the proposed name of H.
  'Bridgeport 007'.  Each name must be considered on its individual merits and
  relationship with the ICNCP.
  Chick, I believe the ICNCP is very clear in this matter and I recommend that
  you obtain a copy of it.
  Bobby Baxter
  Happy Moose Gardens  http://happymoosegardens.com