Re: NUMBERS IN HOSTA NAMES

  • Subject: Re: NUMBERS IN HOSTA NAMES
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:01:18 -0400

Hi Chick,
      The problem I have with that thinking is that you seem to see streaked
plants as some different kind of animal, rather than just another type of
hosta like the "stable" types. A different type altogether that apparently
has no merits of its own. Why do you use the word "stable" as if it is a
black-and-white thing? Stability is relative in hostas, and there are
probably no hostas that are 100% stable. 'Sergeant Pepper' is a sport of
either a gold or a light green seedling. I don't know if you ever saw or
still have the solid-color plant it sported from, but seedlings don't
normally appear with ready-made margins. Was the solid-color "parent"
unstable? Obviously, since it sported to a "stable" form it must have been.
       We haven't made any efforts really to breed for stability in streaked
plants. We just assumed that since the first ones that were named were
fairly unstable (but not so unstable that they have disappeared after 20-30
years) that all the others would be equally unstable. Your experience with
0017 points out that some can be pretty stable as a streaked form or we
wouldn't be having this discussion. I have some streaked plants too that
have not come close to yielding a "stable" form after 10 years or more. They
might some day, but then so might a lot of solid-color ones sport to an edge
or even a streaked form. I can't say I know which might happen first. Some
of the margin or center forms from streaked plants can also be very hard to
stabilize so they don't keep reverting to streaked forms. In the 'Fortunei
Hyacinthina' fields at Walters Gardens, plain old green 'Hyacinthina' sports
like crazy with sports in at least one plant out of ten. That's more than
some streaked forms manage. Dan can back me up on that since he was there
too. Does that make FH a stable form or an unstable form?
       In my opinion, streaked forms are just another pattern, but one which
has the added bonus of yielding streaked seedlings. I don't see any reason
why they should be treated differently when it comes to naming them. Some,
like 'Fascination', can make fairly stable garden plants for those who just
like their looks. In the future, I think we'll see more streaked plants that
are like 'Korean Snow' and stay streaked very well. We haven't really
started breeding with that as a goal yet.
       I think you are just jumping through hoops trying to avoid naming
them to support the concept that they are significantly different from other
hostas in some way. You could just as easily use real names rather than
xxxxxxxxxxxx Streaked to name your streaked introductions. Instead of
'Graceland Streaked', which is not a legal name for registration purposes,
you could call it 'Graceland Memories' or some such. Kevin Vaughn put out
'Delta Dawn' some time ago but when Q and Z wanted to sell the streaked
form, they asked him to name it and he called it 'Delta Force', thus keeping
the connection. If you just name things this- or that- Streaked, you'll have
to rename them later if you want to register them. It works the same way in
reversed form too - If you like and name a streaked plant like 'Dorothy
Benedict', you can't name a sport 'Dorothy Benedict Stable' and register it
that way.
     That's why we decided not to put things like 'Graceland Streaked' in
the HostaLibrary. They will only be renamed later so they can be registered,
and the listing in the Library would have to be changed.
                                             ........Bill Meyer

chick@bridgewoodgardens.com       writes:

>       Actually, I'm not bored.  Does it say anywhere in there whether
digits
>       are allowed in hosta names?  That's really all I was wondering
about.

>       Chick
>
>       Chick I know it scares you when I send anything that relates to
rules but

>   in
>
>       this case I think you will like the answer I am giving you to your
>
>   question!
>
>       The relevant sections ("articles") of the 2004 version of the code
>
>   follow:
>
>       19.15 For a cultivar name to be established on or after 1 January
1996,

>   its
>
>       epithet must
>       consist of no more than 30 characters (Roman letters, numbers,  and
>
>   permitted
>
>       punctuation marks or symbols) overall, excluding spaces and  the
>
>   demarcating
>
>       marks.
>       Ex. 24.  After 1 January 1996 a name with the  cultivar epithet
"Madame

>   la
>
>       Comtesse Oswald de Kerchove de Denterghem" could not  be
established.

>       19.16. A cultivar name may not be established if on or after 1
January

>   2004
>
>       its epithet
>       consists solely of a single letter or solely of Arabic or  Roman
>
>   numerals.
>
>       Ex. 25.  Names containing the epithets "K", "400", and  "MMIV"
cannot be
>       established, but the epithets "Hundred", "10 Downing Street",  "451
Ocean
>       Boulevard", "77 Sunset Strip", "Apollo 13", "Catch 22", "Henry
VIII",