  • From: "Bobby Baxter - Wake Forest, NC" <irismoose@daylily.net>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:08:43 -0400

Chick,  I am a supporter of registering plants with the appropriate
international registration authority, in this case, the American Hosta
Society.  If you really want use the name "Bridgewood 0017" then I recommend
a variation of it.  However, the name that you would have to submit that
meets the guidelines of the ICNCP is "BRIG-0017" or even "BRIG0017WD".  I
know these two variations look more like seedling numbers in actuality, but,
they are acceptable when you read Article 19.27 which states: "A cultivar
epithet may also be in the form of a code of up to 10 characters excluding
spaces and that consists of no more than four alternating sets of a letter
or letters and a number or numbers."

At the end of 1999 I submitted the name "Y2K" for the registration of a
daylily.  It was initially rejected, so I appealed the decision.  It was
rejected based upon the 1995 ICNCP rules in that it resembled a seedling
number.  However, in my appeal I commented that Y2K is actually a
recognizable word in America and most parts of the world since you could not
pick up a newspaper in this country without reading a reference to Y2K and
everyone knew exactly what it meant.  I bet if I had tried that name 10
years earlier then I would not have won the appeal.

Bobby Baxter
Your Web Site Is Waiting For You

TheGardenSite.com: http://thegardensite.com
Daylily.Net: http://daylily.net
Happy Moose:  http://happymoosegardens.com

We specialize in designing web sites for plant lovers!
daylilies, hostas, irises, orchids, cacti, perennials, etc.