Re: NUMBERS IN HOSTA NAMES

  • Subject: Re: NUMBERS IN HOSTA NAMES
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:25:29 -0400

Hi Bobby,
      Nice website. I see that you're more experienced with daylilies than
hostas. A big difference between the AHemS and the AHosS is that the
Hemerocallis society has its own registration rules in addition to the ICNCP
code. All in all their system is much more developed than the Hosta society
system at this time. The code as you've seen is very open to interpretation
in many areas and decisions could go either way in a situation like Chick's.
The AHemS has the advantage of some society rules to help clear up how
things should be interpreted for daylily registrations, while the AHosS
leaves it totally up to the Registrar.
      With hosta names, the decision to accept a name lies wholly in the
Registrar's hands. I believe the Registrar does seek input from the
Registrars of other genera when difficult issues arise, but the decision is
wholly his to make, as long as it does fit within the often vague boundaries
of the code.
       I prefer the idea of a society having rules on registration rather
than leaving all decisions to an individual registrar. I've recommended to
the AHosS Board that we look into putting such rules together. We recently
had a big flare-up about registration issues which revolved around people
not registering their plants "soon enough". With no clear rules from the
society on when (or even if) we should register a plant, there is too much
room for disagreement. I believe that in the near future we will see a set
of rules and guidelines from the AHosS that will resolve some questions like
Chick's naming quandary.
                                  ........Bill Meyer

> Chick, I believe that the name Hosta 'Bridgewood 007' should be rejected
> based on Article 19.27, Ex. 48 of the February 2004 ICNCP.  Your proposed
> name could easily  be considered as a "collector's reference number" or
> hybridizers's seedling number.  Your proposed name also exceeds the 10
> character limit of 19.27 in how it relates to "coded epithets."  I think
the
> ICNCP is clear in this regard as outlined on page 27 of the 2004 ICNCP.
>
> There are many nuances in The Code but I feel that once you start working
> with the ICNCP on a daily basis, then it becomes more clear and you can
see
> the logic behind it.  When considering a new epithet, then you must only
> consider how the ICNCP affects each individual proposed name.
>
> You should not say that if "Name 1" is allowed, then "Name 2" must be
> allowed.  This is the comparision you mentioned in your letter between H.
> 'Apollo 13' and H. 'Bridgeport 007'.  Article 19.16 addresses the proposed
> name of H. 'Apollo 13' and Article 19.27 addresses the proposed name of H.
> 'Bridgeport 007'.  Each name must be considered on its individual merits
and
> relationship with the ICNCP.
>
> Chick, I believe the ICNCP is very clear in this matter and I recommend
that
> you obtain a copy of it.
>
> Bobby Baxter
> Happy Moose Gardens