 Your're probably right Bill.  Like I said, I was just asking a
question,  not looking for an argument. I don't really care what anyone
else does. I guess I could argue with you about whether 'Sergeant Pepper'
is a sport or a seedling, or the line between unstable and "fairly
stable", but I frankly don't see what that has to do with anything.  I
just stated my opinion, and despite all the wisdom of your arguments, my
opinion hasn't changed a bit.  You've analyzed things about as far (I
hope) as they can be analyzed but I just don't see what difference it

There is nothing wrong with selling streaked forms of 'Little Town Flirt'
or 'Lovely Rita' if someone wants to buy them.  For the right price you
can buy just about anything I have except my wife, my dog, and my
tractor.  There are times when I would entertain offers on one or two of
those, but not my tractor. I'll sell every streaked plant I have if
someone makes me an offer I can't refuse. There is a difference, in my
mind at least, in selling something somebody wants, and offering
something for sale.  In my opinion, the streaked forms of those two
plants have no value.  I just don't see why anyone needs them.  If you
want them, I'll sell them to you, and probably overcharge you for them,
but if I offer them for sale it implies that I think they are worth
selling, and I don't.

If someone gets hold of them and wants to put a name on them and sell
them, there's not much I can do about it.  I don't think that the fact
that there might be some dirtbag out there that would might introduce a
plant of mine without my permission is any justification for me to do it
just to beat them to the punch.

There are streaked plants that are worth introducing, and many more that
are not.  Just my opinion, and it's pretty obvious that it isn't shared
by everyone.  It is comforting to know though, that if I'm ever strapped
for cash I can whip up a couple million bucks worth of streaked seedlings
real quick.  Actually, I could probably make more than that if I wanted,
but I'm not a greedy man.

Bill Meyer wrote:

  Well Chick,
         To answer your question about people thinking streaked plants are a
  rarity, I doubt it. Bill Nash has been peddling and giving away his 'Let's
  Streak' seed everywhere for years so everyone that had a few dollars could
  raise some streaked seedlings. Older streaked plants like 'Iron Gate
  Supreme' and 'Swoosh' don't fetch more than $15 or so these days too. It's
  been that way for years. Generally newer streaked varieties go for a higher
  price because of scarcity. Most aren't TCed so they're OS to begin with (see
  your website for the difference in price between OS and TC of the same
  plant) and not all divisions of a streaked plant are suitable for sale if
  you want a happy customer. As for the TC ones, only a fairly small
  percentage of a streaked plant's TC's show good streaking, often less than
  half. This make the price higher for the good ones. That explains why people
  charge more for them. If people are willing to pay that amount, it might be
  that they want them for breeding, for collector value (including trading),
  or maybe they just like the way they look. If no one was willing to pay the
  higher prices, then the prices would either go down or no one would sell
         First item - Some people are of the opinion that seedlings which are
  chimeras of any type from the first leaf are still sports - just ones that
  happened very early in the plant's life. I agree with them unless evidence
  someday proves otherwise. That makes it a sport even though the normal
  solid-color plant ceased to exist.
         Second item - You said "0017 is one of my best breeders but has not
  stabilized yet" which I take to mean as it remaining streaked and not
  forming any margin or edge types. This would make it a plant in which the
  streaking is fairly stable, say at least as good as 'Fascination'. A very
  unstable streaked plant would be 'Flamboyant' which has a very strong
  tendency to form a margin and give up being streaked. "Unstable" and
  "streaked" do not mean the same thing.
         Third item - If you don't give proper names to your plants someday
  someone else probably will if they are getting around and stay popular. This
  has happened before and will again. Calling a plant xxxxxxx Streaked is not
  giving it a name as far as registration is concerned. If you change your
  mind and want to register it, or die and someone else wants to register it,
  it will need a real name. Why put plants out without giving them real and
  legal names? The restrictions aren't that bad. It's actually fairly
  difficult to find a name that wouldn't be allowed.
         BTW, I think a lot of people would be interested in a streaked
  'Little Town Flirt' or a streaked 'Lovely Rita'. What would be wrong with
  selling them if people wanted them? If the stable forms are great plants,
  what's wrong with the streaked forms, especially if they're fertile? It
  doesn't make any sense to me not to sell the streaked form of a plant that
  is good enough to name, except maybe if it is too unstable to stay streaked
  for long or it's infertile. People are smart. They'll decide for themselves
  if they want a plant, so if you like the stable form, what's so unlikeable
  about the streaked form?
                                                   .......Bill Meyer

    As I said, I really don't care if anyone agrees, it's just what I think
    and its why I haven't introduced a single streaked plant out of the
    thousands and thousands I have grown.  You can introduce as many as you
    like.  I happen to be a great fan of 'Sea Prize' and have no problem with
    it being in the trade because I think it is a great breeder.  I may name
    and introduce some of my favorite breeders if I have a surplus and I may
    give them a name of their own if I feel like it.  I'm not making any
    rules here, just stating an opinion.
    It seems that you are always searching for some ulterior motive in my
    pronouncements.  I'm not jumping through hoops to support anything. I
    just explained the way I handle these plants.
    I'm not sure I am making a distinction between streaked and unstreaked
    plants.  It just seems to me that a plant shouldn't be introduced just
    because it's streaked any more than a seedling should be introduced just
    because it's blue, or variegated for that matter.  I'm not a great fan of
    introducing all these streaked plants because it seems to me that nobody
    would be paying these rather unusual prices for ordinary streaked plants
    if they were familiar with how common it is, and I wonder if these plants
    would be introduced if they brought what they were worth. If these plants
    were selling for ten or fifteen bucks, I wouldn't have a problem with
    it.  And I'm not talking about every streaked plant that has a name. Some
    are better than others, some, to me at least, don't show me a thing.  I
    didn't say the practice should be banned, I just said I'm not a big fan
    of it. I think that's ok for me to have an opinion without looking for
    ulterior motives.  Far be it from me to make rules.
    You jump to a few conclusions below.  First of all, I do occasionally get
    stable, margined or centered seedlings, and 'Sergeant Pepper' is a
    seedling.  It did not come from a streaked plant, and is not a sport of
    anything.  It was one of the first seedlings I ever selected, and at the
    time I was not breeding with streakers. I have others that germinated
    with margins or centers, but they have not been introduced.  Obviously
    it's not as common as streaking, but it happens.
    Second, 0017 is not "pretty stable", whatever that means,  I never said
    it was.  I don't know why we wouldn't be having this conversation if it
    didn't behave just like all the other streaked plants, that's the point.
    I'm not saying unstable streaked plants shouldn't be introduced.
    Third, I have no intention of registering 'Graceland Memories' or
    'Graceland Streaked' or a streaked 'Graceland' of any other name.  So I
    pretty much can call it anything I want.
    Bill Meyer wrote:
      Hi Chick,
            The problem I have with that thinking is that you seem to see

      plants as some different kind of animal, rather than just another type

      hosta like the "stable" types. A different type altogether that

      has no merits of its own. Why do you use the word "stable" as if it is a
      black-and-white thing? Stability is relative in hostas, and there are
      probably no hostas that are 100% stable. 'Sergeant Pepper' is a sport of
      either a gold or a light green seedling. I don't know if you ever saw or
      still have the solid-color plant it sported from, but seedlings don't
      normally appear with ready-made margins. Was the solid-color "parent"
      unstable? Obviously, since it sported to a "stable" form it must have

             We haven't made any efforts really to breed for stability in

      plants. We just assumed that since the first ones that were named were
      fairly unstable (but not so unstable that they have disappeared after

      years) that all the others would be equally unstable. Your experience

      0017 points out that some can be pretty stable as a streaked form or we
      wouldn't be having this discussion. I have some streaked plants too that
      have not come close to yielding a "stable" form after 10 years or more.

      might some day, but then so might a lot of solid-color ones sport to an

      or even a streaked form. I can't say I know which might happen first.

      of the margin or center forms from streaked plants can also be very hard

      stabilize so they don't keep reverting to streaked forms. In the

      Hyacinthina' fields at Walters Gardens, plain old green 'Hyacinthina'

      like crazy with sports in at least one plant out of ten. That's more

      some streaked forms manage. Dan can back me up on that since he was

      too. Does that make FH a stable form or an unstable form?
             In my opinion, streaked forms are just another pattern, but one

      has the added bonus of yielding streaked seedlings. I don't see any

      why they should be treated differently when it comes to naming them.

      like 'Fascination', can make fairly stable garden plants for those who

      like their looks. In the future, I think we'll see more streaked plants

      are like 'Korean Snow' and stay streaked very well. We haven't really
      started breeding with that as a goal yet.
             I think you are just jumping through hoops trying to avoid naming
      them to support the concept that they are significantly different from

      hostas in some way. You could just as easily use real names rather than
      xxxxxxxxxxxx Streaked to name your streaked introductions. Instead of
      'Graceland Streaked', which is not a legal name for registration

      you could call it 'Graceland Memories' or some such. Kevin Vaughn put

      'Delta Dawn' some time ago but when Q and Z wanted to sell the streaked
      form, they asked him to name it and he called it 'Delta Force', thus

      the connection. If you just name things this- or that- Streaked, you'll

      to rename them later if you want to register them. It works the same way

      reversed form too - If you like and name a streaked plant like 'Dorothy
      Benedict', you can't name a sport 'Dorothy Benedict Stable' and register

      that way.
           That's why we decided not to put things like 'Graceland Streaked'

      the HostaLibrary. They will only be renamed later so they can be

      and the listing in the Library would have to be changed.
                                                   ........Bill Meyer
        Ah, the inevitable challenge from Mr Meyer.  Don't you have anything

        I'm trying to get my fall list out now, so I'm afraid I don't have too
        much time to argue with you on this one.
        Yes, 'Bridgewood 0017' is a name. I guess you got me on that one.
        I put a number on a streaked plant once I decide it's worth keeping so

        can keep track of it's seedlings. I don't like to name them because

        are unstable and will eventually change to a stable plant. Actually

        plant is just labeled 0017, but if I do sell or give it to anyone, I
        don't think that's sufficient and would attach "Bridgewood". And I

        don't care to debate whether 0017 is a number or a name. The reason I
        asked the question is that 0017 is one of my best breeders but has not
        stabilized yet and I don't want to give it a "real" name until it

        It's just my preference, but I would prefer to name the stable plant

        refer to the streaked form as 'Stable Plant Streaked' or some such
        thing.  That way, there is a connection between the streaked and

        plant. '9944' stabilized and the margined form is now 'Graceland',

        never left my nursery and it became 'Graceland Streaked' and anyone

        probably recognize the relationship.  If you disagree, which I'm sure

        do, that's fine.
        I'm amazed by the prices people are paying for streaked plants that

        look like anything special to me, and I wonder if it's because they've
        been led to believe that streaking is unusual.  If I get around to
        planting all the seeds I take this year, I can produce literally
        thousands of streaked plants, but IMHO, unless they prove to be good
        breeders or stabilize to something interesting, which most of them

        I don't see where the value comes from.  I hate to imply that I'm

        to separating a sucker from his/her money, but for some reason this

        just bugs me.
        And so that's the reason I'm not a big fan of "naming" so many

        Maybe I should just shut up and start selling them too.  I can use the
        money as much as anyone.
        And actually, I don't have the same standards for stable plants. I've
        said many times before that I think don't think there's anything wrong
        with introducing plants that are not fantastic new breakthroughs in

        world of hostas, as long as the plant is described as honestly as
        possible. And before you write a 3 page tome disputing my logic,

        I said I don't really care.  I know there are those who feel there are
        too many hostas, I just don't agree.
        As for 'Admiral Halsey', I agree with your implication that it

        have been introduced and haven't sold it for years.  Surprisingly

        I still get calls from people in Minnesota and thereabouts asking if

        can buy it because they saw it in someone's garden up there.

        the creamy gold margin I saw when I named the plant is dependent on
        temperature, and some people up there like the plant. In most years

        just 'Patriot' around here. So sue me.  By the way, my catalog
        description of 'Admiral Halsey', when I did sell it, indicated that

        color was much more apparent in cooler areas and ended with the
        following: "I don't know if the world needs another 'Patriot' variant,
        and I had planned to keep this one to myself, but people who have seen

        at the nursery have asked for it."
        Bill Meyer wrote:
          So Chick,
               I would assume that you are also not a big fan of naming

          center, or solid-color plants if they were not truly unusual and
          for some reason too. Except maybe 'Admiral Halsey'. :-) The

          streaked plants apparently is that must also give good offspring.

          enough that they could be very attractive, have very stable

          good growers, have a unique look, etc. Why do they have to meet
          higher than other types? Just wondering what the difference is in

               Also, I'm not sure why you would think 'Bridgewood 0017' would

      be a
          name. If it isn't a name, what is it?
                                               .......Bill Meyer
            Thanks Kevin,
            I have to admit that rules irritate me, but in this case I asked

            so I have only myself to blame.
            The reason I'm asking is that I am not a big fan of naming, nor or
            registering, streaked plants unless they are truly unusual and
            outstanding for some reason.  Obviously there are many who

            because I see all kinds of plants being named that don't look any
            different than the hundreds of streaked plants I produce every

  year -

            thousands if you count the ones I throw out. I can't see any

  reason to

            introduce a streaked plant unless it's an outstanding breeder, and
            doesn't mean just any streaked plant that will produce additional
            ordinary streaked plants.
            Anyway, I digress (does it seem that there's always a rant

  attached to

            my questions?).  I do have some streaked plants that I consider
            outstanding breeders and I have considered offering them for sale

            future.  Generally I number the seedlings I use for breeding and

            give them a name unless they stabilize into something I find
            interesting.  I think I was once told that I could not name a

            'Bridgewood 0017 ' legally because it didn't conform to the rules.

            would seem to me that if 'Apolo 13' is legal, then 'Bridgewood

            would be too.  Yes?
                    Giboshiman@aol.com             wrote:
              In a message dated 8/28/2004 2:36:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,