Re: Rare hosta sources

In a message dated 8/1/1998 10:27:56 PM Central Daylight Time,
mike.groothuis@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< Most every nursery that specializes in hostas offers pretty much the
 same 100 varieties or so. What is a good place to purchase the more rare
 and unheard of varieties? Thanks everyone. >>
At last an interesting topic close to my heart!!
I don't know.<BG>

Just kidding, of course.

The (former?) best place is (was?) Hatfield Gardens in Ohio. I have heard that
Handy is back in business. It was the premier place for the rare and unusual
Where else could one find the latest from the Lachmans, Kevin Vaughn,
Seaver,Benedict, and others??

Another place is Soules Garden. Don't just read their catalog. Call Marge
Soules and ask her if she has what you want. What about 'Hylanders Type Two'?
She's got it. H. sieboldiana robusta? It's there. 'Gold Cadet'? Yes! And,
many, many other rare ones.

Now, if you want the rarest hostas of all just let me know. I have some
raries=='Hannah Hanson', for instance. And, a few more, such as the early
hybrids of L. Simpers.
For species, contact Bob Solberg.

Clyde Crockett z5 Indy IN