Re: Fertilizer

Clyde and all,

About five years ago Alex applied chicken manure on his whole garden during
the winter. This was written about in the Journal. Maybe this is what you
are thinking about.

Alex feels quite strongly about not using chemical fertilizer on his hostas.
He uses wood chip mulch 1 inch deep and in the past has used as many as 280
bales of rye straw as mulch.

Alex does water a lot. He also has heavy soil with quite a bit of clay.

Several years ago Alex tried some soy bean meal in the spring and thinks he
had an increase in the vole population as a result. Alex also says he had
more trouble making bud cuttings that fall because of the growth habit of
the crown.

As per a phone conversation with Alex Summers 8/3/98.
Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7