Re: To Sheila: Aphrodite 1998 (Idea)

At 11:46 PM 8/3/98 -0400, you wrote:
>> I guess ol' Jim Shelton doesn't know what he should charge! We sold him at
>> least 20 or so. I have no idea how many are left.
If you have not checked out Shelton's hostas, get there fast.  I have
purchased Snow Cap ($4.99), Carnival ($4.99; supposed to be $8.99, but they
let me have it for the lesser price since it was mismarked), Little Aurora
($4.99), Northern Exposure ($4.99), fotunei Aureomaculata ($4.99).  I'll
bet no one will buy Aphrodite because it is plain green...so there should
be many left for me to choose from.  Hosta fanciers don't seem to shop there.

Now a question.  Hostas I have bought at Shelton's generally have a dark,
blue-gray coloration to any leaves that are supposed to be bluish.  They
retain the color throughout the season in which they are planted.  The
following year, they display the 'correct' color (usually lighter or
greener).  I have not seen this phenomenon at other nurseries.  What could
be the cause of it?

Sheila Smith
Niles, MI  USA, Z 5/6