New Garden Plot for Hostas

Hi everyone... Just wanted to ask you a few questions about my new garden for
hostas..  It is a newly cleaned up area (rake leaves and pull out under
growth) and it is in an area with old oak trees all around - lots of oak
leaves in the fall.

Anyway, it seems as though nothing is growing very well - some of the leaves
on my Zounds are falling apart from the edges inward and other plants are
doing the same.  On the new leaves of other hostas (Abiqua Drinking Gourd for
one) the new growth seems to be very thin - not heavy like the others.   And
most of the plants have little growth.

I'm wondering if the soil, which is rich  black and humousy (sp?) is the
problem,  perhaps too acidic, or could it be a lack of sunlight or......could
the problem perhaps be that I have mulched the whole area with shavings from
cedar wood - it smells quite nice - but I have heard that some woods leach the
nitrogen from the soil....  Then again, perhaps I am asking for too much from
newly planted hostas.

Anyone experienced similar problems?  Got any suggestions?

Thanks - Ronnie