Fwd: Western Red Cedar

Bob, thanks for straightening me out on tanum (really tannin) - Now I know why
my shoes don't last for long - the leather was not tanned...Good thing I've
decided to be an expert in hostas...

Ronnie

-- BEGIN included message

RonnieEA@aol.com wrote:
  And, the fact that cedar has the same oils, called tanum I believe,
> which is a natural preservative, as does redwood, this could very well be
the
Hello everyone
	Eastern Red Cedar is what is used to make cedar chests, possibly
Western Red Cedar is too, it is actually a juniperus, and is what repels
moths. Tannin is what is in oaks and other trees and is used to tan
leather.
http://www.kwic.com/~pagodavista/juniper.html
http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/toxicagents/tannin/tannin.htm
Bye