Re: Some Beginner Questions

Laura Sorochan wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I have a few now three year old hostas in my garden (some of the more
> common varieties).  I plan to acquire many more hostas over my
> lifetime have a few questions for all of you experts:
>
> Some of my hostas are starting to overgrow the space that I had
> allocated to them (dummy here not realizing how wide of a space these
> guys would be ultimately taking up, and I don't even think that they are
> considered 'mature' yet!).  Can I just take a few divisions from
> around the plant every few years so that it fits in it's spot, or is it best to
> move the whole plant?  Do the plants move well?  Are there any tips or
> guidelines to follow when moving a hosta and/or taking divisions?
>
> Do hostas vary greatly in their widths at maturity, or is there a
> recommended spacing guideline that can be applied safely to most
> hostas, so as to minimize having to go through the above again?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Laura
> Montreal, Quebec (just squeekin' in under zone 5)

Laura,
You can do most anything you like with a hosta. They are a very
resilient plant. When I first started dividing my first hosta, I would
dig out clump and split it up with a shovel into quarters. "Now" I
wouldn't do that to my better hostas. Digging out clump and cutting
divisions off with a clean knife is a preferred way.

I have never had a problem moving my hosta around although some prefer
more sun than other. Best to try them somewhere, if plant doesn't do
well, move it to different conditions. Different varieties have
different needs. As for size, well they vary from inches to several
feet. As clumps gain more eyes, this also makes them larger.

A suggestion to learn of new varieties- use a search engine on the
internet. Look for hosta. There are many online catalogs that not only
have pictures, but give descriptions and size of plants. They can be a
great resource.

Hope this helped,
Ray W z6
Mentor Ohio