Re: Seed Irradiation

Lesch, Norman A. wrote:

> Robert,
>
> H. 'Flamboyant' is a streaked breeder that came about from X-ray
> treated seeds from a golden seedling  (probably sieboldiana lineage).
> That is just about all anyone knows about it because Paul Aden won't
> discuss it. It is a very unstable streaked breeder hosta which has
> produced a whole slew of stable offspring and unstable breeders.
> Here are its named offspring:
>
> H.  Blue Veil  from H.  Flamboyant  Hybrid
> H.  Cavalcade  from H.  Flamboyant  Selfed
> H.  Crepe Suzette  from H.  Flamboyant  Hybrid
> H.  Debutante  from H.  Wahoo  x H.  Flamboyant
> H.  Double Edge  from H.  Flamboyant  x H.  Fascination
> H.  Eleanor Lachman  from (H.  Neat Splash  x H.  Flamboyant ) x H.  Robert
>  Frost
> H.  Fascination  from H.  Flamboyant  x H.  High Fat Cream
> H.  Flow Swirls  from H.  Flamboyant  x H.  High Fat Cream
> H.  Gene Summers  from H.  Flamboyant  x H.  Intrigue
> H.  Halo  from H.  Flamboyant  x H.  Estelle Aden
> H.  Intrigue  from H.  Flamboyant  x H.  High Fat Cream
> H.  Jambaliah  from H.  Flamboyant  x H.  High Fat Cream
> H.  Joyce Trott  from H.  Flamboyant  or H.  Fascination  x H.  Sum and
> Substance
> H.  Lovelight  from H.  Flamboyant  x H.  Banana Sundae
> H.  Mount Tom  from H.  Flamboyant  x H.  Christmas Tree
> H.  Renaissance  from H.  Flamboyant  Mutation
> H.  Royal Rainbow  from H.  Bold One  x H.  Flamboyant
> H.  Sailor s Warning  from H.  Flamboyant  Hybrid
> H.  Shade Fanfare  from H.  Flamboyant  Mutation
> H.  Verna Jean  from H.  Flamboyant  Selfed
> H.  Vicki Aden  from H.  Flamboyant  Hybrid
> H.  White Colossus  from H.  Bold One  x H.  Flamboyant
> H.  White Magic  from H.  White Christmas  x H.  Flamboyant
> H.  Whoopee  from H.  Flamboyant  x H.  Fascination
> H.  Yellow Bird  from H.  High Fat Cream  x H.  Flamboyant
>
> I acquired it this spring and am looking forward to using it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Norm Lesch
> Manchester, MD
>
>  ----------
> From: Robert Stine
> To: hosta-open@mallorn.com
> Subject: Seed Irradiation
> Date: Tuesday, August 11, 1998 3:23PM
>
> I have a  Uncle by way of marriage to my wife who is a Agronomist he has
> been involved in all sorts of  grass and grain seed mutating activities
> through USDA and  major universities. What I understand is,  he was
> using controlled  radiation on different grass and grain  seeds to
> develop a strain or variety that may be more productive or drought
> tolerant and/or many other specifics........ I have spoke with him about
> what effects it would have on Hosta and he does not have any
> information. My question  is has any of you/us tried any radiation or
> chemical treatments to Hosta seed or even plants, if so do you mind
> sharing your experience? I have some Sum and Substance  seed that I had
> [...]
I am going to try to choose my words carefully here-------  In case after
case, I have "found" that PA has distorted the true events leading up to
the introduction of a given plant!  I have a feeling thet he "won't tell"
because he dosn't want the real story known.  Sad when one looks at all
the great material he has introduced and should recieve credit for.  I
hear from some that it would be a very unlikely thing for "irridated
seed" to actually mutate.  I have had it tried for me, and did not find
any streaking on hundreds of seed, and many plants of June, and Big
Daddy. I am still waiting for the first "validated" case of streaked
seedlings from "radiation".
Ran Lydell