Re: Hosta Hillside

At 02:35 PM 8/24/98 EST, you wrote:

>Can you say
>carcinogen,tobacco mosiac virus,class and common curtesy?

Hi, Dan.  Now that you've brought it up, I have a couple of questions.
First of all, I formerly smoked (for about 30 years), during which time
some of my most enjoyable moments were spent smoking in the garden.  None
of my tomatoes, peppers, or eggplants (susceptible to TMV) ever showed
symptoms of the disease, though I smoked right on them, handled them after
handling cigarettes, etc.  Once I even found a small pile of butts, each
having a little stub of tobacco left on it, dumped by an idiot right at the
base of my tomato plants.  But no TMV.  Does TMV occur in Zone 5b?  Is it
transmitted some way other than those described above?

Secondly, are hostas susceptible to TMV?  If so, what are the signs of
infection?

Sheila Smith
mikecook@pipeline.com
Niles, MI  USA, Z 5/6