Re: Catalogues

Joanne Pyszczek wrote:
> Jean Carpenter wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone briefly explain what "Rossized" means?  How does it help?
> I'm sure someone else can explain this better but I'll give it a shot.
> Rossizing , or bud isolation, is technique to speed up the increase
> on a hosta.  Cuts are made on either side of the buds, but not deep
> enough to completely separate the bud from the crown.  This somehow
> tricks the hosta into developing more buds.  Hopefully someone with
> more technical knowledge will fill in the details.
> Joanne
> jopyz@earthlink.net
"Rossing" or "Crown Cutting"  Is done with a clean sharp knife.  It is
inserted through the base of the plant, just below the point where the
leaves start, and then pulled down through the base, and root system. In
a larger plant this can be done several directions, forming wedges. The
goal should be to have at least one bud, on each section.  "Bud
Isolation" requires that a shallow slit is made , starting at a common
point just above the bud, and continuing beside the bud and down through
the base, leaving the bud connected at the back.