Re: Catalogues

In a message dated 8/27/1998 11:50:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
ranbl@netsync.net writes:

<< "Rossing" or "Crown Cutting"   >>
#################################################33

Henry Ross is VERY upset with the American Hosta Society and its members for
not giving him hostas for sharing his "secret." The name of the procedure
comes from him. He wants you all to send him hostas. Why not let's do it?

He has taken to patenting his hostas. Why? I suppose becuz they are such great
ones, like Solar Flare.

I came upon the method as I guess many have done. I had never heard of Rossing
or Rossizing. But one day I wanted to give a division of a hosta to someone. I
took a shapshooter , dug in and hit the crown. I got no division. I kept doing
this until the plant was mutilated. I finally got a division. Next year==the
plant was triple the size as it was the year before.
Just take a long, sharp knife and go to the center of the plant and start
cutting.

It was actually Bob Savory that first used the method.

Clyde Crockett z5 Indianapolis IN