Re: Japanese names

At 10:57 PM 8/2/99 -0500, you wrote:
Bobby et all...
                   I'm gonna attach a text file, from my hard-drive, hoping
this be of help to Mary & you & all?  This first letter, written by the
late great Doctor Henry Landis, whom was murdered in Toronto in 1988 ..and
WHOM'had one of the largest Japanese hosta collections in Canada, at that
time, and this letter will verify same.  If anyone wants, more data, on
this, go to Dan Nelson, who can talk to Alex Summers ...this letter is my
re-type of Alex's original letter from Landis, and Alex said I could pass
it around ...I think? <G>

If U wants more? ..I have a few other letter re-types about Japanese types
e.g. the 'Bette Comfrey JAPANESE Collection' which was offered for Auction
to the AHS Convention 1999, but was refused because these were not
registered types, as outlined by AHS JURISPRUDENCE! ..er so I've heard, and
don't know if this is TRUE or FALSE? ..and don't care, so let's not get
into that :-( eh?

I you'd like to see more re-types, and can view the text attachment sent
here ...just ask?

WiN = whippin'Will'ma Nash <lol>
and simply fooling around ...tryin t'keep....
:-B
y'all to be happy now! ..U hear?
>         Even if someone knew a few Japanese names I could compile them
> all and
>add them to the library, just send what you have or know.
>Thanks
>--
>Bye
>Bob
>
>        Bob Axmear 208 2nd St Ne  Waukon,Ia 52172-1308 319 568-4859
>                 http://www.hostasonline.com/  Hostasonline.com
>                http://www.hostasonline.com/webwork.html WEBWORK
<======|the'END
COPY OF LETTER FROM THE LATE Dr. H. Landis, Q.C.
41 Citation Drive, Willowdale, Ontario Canada M2K 1S5
*NOTES* in asterisks (*): are additional notes made by Alex Summers and/or Bill Nash
Dear Alex,
	It was a real pleasure speaking with you!  The following are the Japanese hostas, from Watanabe I got
1..   FUKURIN KOBA (will send August 1989) ( *= H.ALBOMARGINATA*)
2.    IWA GIBOSHI * = H. LONGIPES*
4.  HIME TOKUDAMA  (will send Aug 1989) (*NAKAIAMA hybrid*)
5.  RENGE KI NAKA (*fortunei - yellow . variegated center*)
6.  MURASAKI (looks like ventricosa -large 1 - 1.2” flower (*VENTRICOSA*)
7.  SETO UCHI
8.  KOBA GIBOSHI (* = LANCIFOLIA*)
9.  UNAZUKI
10.  died
11.  KI SUZI GIBOSHI (* = SIEBOLDII MEDIO-PICTA)
12.  OGON SAGAE (Gold fluctuans)
13.  AKEBONO FUKURIN (*YELLOW CENTER, WHITE MARGIN*)
14.  OGON TACHI GIBOSHI (golden rectifolia; ruffled)
15.  KI FUKURIN KOBA (will send Aug 89) (* = yellow margined LANCIFOLIA*)
16.  KOBUKI GIBOSHI
17.  URAJIRO GIBOSHI IWA (red petioles, smooth, grey back -will send Aug 89)
18.  SIRO ZASA
19.  KOMAME GIBOSHI (will send Aug 89)
20.  HAKAMA GIBOSHI (will send Aug 89) (* = HELONOIDES*) also, Julia Hardy, Bold Edger
21.  FUKURIN OMOTO GIBOSHI (* = RHODIFOLIA*)
22.  OGON HIME TOKUDAMA (*gold small NAKAIAMA hybrid*) here also Opipara Horizama
23.  MISHIMA FUKURIN KOBA (very elegant, nicer than opipara & similar)
24.  HIME TOKUDAMA -----crossed out
25.  SHIRO KABITAN (*= SUBCROCEA*)
26.  OTOME GIBOSHI (will send Aug/89) (* =VENUSTA *)
27.  KOGASHI YAM FUKURIN (Harris)
28.  BUNCHYOKA
29.  KOBA GIBOSHI (same as #8)
30.  OGON KOURA JIRO
31.  HIME YOWA (IWA) GIBOSHI (will send Aug/89) (* GRACILLIMA* ) described as very rare.
32.  OGON SUDARE  (gold kikuttii)
33.  KI(yellow) FUKURIN(edged) RENGE (fortunei) GIBOSHI (larger than todudama)
34.  HOSOBA YUWA (IWA) GIBOSHI
35.  CHIRIFU OGON HIME TOKUDAMA (*gold NAKAIAMA hybrid) described very rare small chartreuse tok.
36.  SUZI GIBOSHI
37.  KINBA GIBOSHI
38.  YUWA (IWA) GIBOSHI (*=LONGIPES*)
39.  SAME AS #33.
40.  TUGARU KOMACHI
41.  KI NAKA FU TOKUDAMA (a beauty; center pure chartreuse, fine blue edge; aureo-nebulosa)
42.   KOGARASHI GIBOSH (like Tortifrons, aureomarginata)
43.  FUKURIN MURASAKI GIBOSH (looks like ventricosa
HOSTAS IN THE LANDIS COLLECTION
FUKURIN KOBA *probably H. sieboldii margined small leaf
HIME TOKODAMA *dwarf tokudama
HIWA GIBOSHI *Rock Hosta / H. longipes
RENGE KI NAKA FU *fotunei Albopicta
MURASAKI *ventricosa
SETO UCHI *small white backed
KOBA GIBOSHI *Lancifolia (many different under hybrid names)
UNAZUKI *H. Kikuttii caput avis
KI SUZI GIBOSHI *H. sieboldii ‘Mediopicta’
OGAN SAGAE *golden fluctuans Variegated
AKEBONO FUKURIN *probably a margined tokudama NOTE: John Kee says this is sieboldii derivative???
OGAN TACHI GIBOSHI *golden rectifolia
KI FUKURIN KOBA *H. sieboldii yellow margin
KOBUKI GIBOSHI *Kofuki is a white backed H. longipes
URAJIRO HACHI JYOW * white backed ruprifraga
SIRO ZASA ???
KOMAME GIBOSHI *very small gracillima
HAKAMA GIBOSHI *Helonnoides
FUKURIN OMOTO GIBOSHI *Rohdcifolia
OGAN HIME TOKUDAMA *yellow dwarf tokudama (NAKAIANA Hybrid)
MISHIMA FUKURIN KOBA * a variegated lancifolia type. Koba = lancifolia or sieboldii
HIME TOKODAMA *Dwarf tokudama
SHIRO KABITAN *probably Haku Chu Hau
OTOME GIBOSHI *H. venusta
KOGASHI YAM FUKURIN ???
BUNCHYOKA *sieboldii ‘Bunchoko’
OGAN KOURA JIRO *yellow ruprifraga
HIME YOWA GIBOSHI *H. gracillima
OGAN SUDARE yellow H. kikutii var polyneuton
KI FUKURIN RENGE GIBOSHI *fortunei Aureomarginata
HOSOBA YUWA GIBOSHI *narrow leaved  H. longipes
CHIRIFU OGAN *overall variegated gold tokudama
SUZI GIBOSHI *H. undulata
KINBA GIBOSHI *gold leaved hosta
YUWA GIBOSHI *H. longipes
TUGARU KOMACHI *similar to H. sieboldii ‘Silver Kabitan’ (TSUGARU KOMACHI - Schmid book)
KI NAKA FU TOKUDAMA *tokudama aureo nebulosa
KOGARASHI GIBOSHI * H. tortifrons
FUKURIN MURASAKI GIBOSHI * H. ventricosa ‘Aureomarginata’
JAPANESE WORD MEANINGS (and translations)
IWA/JYOW/YUWA = rock   HIME = small   FUKURIN = white margin  KI/KIN = yellow   OGAN/OGON = gold
RENGE = fortunei/larger tokudama

Continuation of Landis letter….  I also have some of the newer N.S. hostas, which I’ll be glad to share with you
when possible.  These are Centre Stage; Great Expectations; Formal Attire; Standing Ovation; Spinning Wheel; Bold
& Brassy; Black Beauty; Calypso; Gay Blade; Geisha, River Nile; September Song, Lakeside Symphony; El Capitan,
Carnival, Spilt Milk, Lochness, Inniswood; Galzxy;
     I am interested in getting: sibold. Bressingham Blue, Blue Slate #2, Buggy Wheels, Green Eclipse, Renaissance,
Ventricosa Aureomarginata, Chariot Wheels, George Smith, Colour Glory, Columbus Circle, Sea Peridot, Riptide,
Baby Bunting, Sea Sapphire, Sea Frolic, Christmas Gold, Fragrant Bouquet, Blue Sapphire, Sunshine Glory, Nancy
Minks, Citation, Roundabout, Queen of Hearts, Circus Clown, Boots & Saddles, Northern Mist, Opipara (large leaf
form), Silver Bowl, Sea Blue Monster, Sea Aquarious, Olympic Gold. And any others you think are distinctive and
different than those already available.  I like best, the variegated ones, especially those with light coloured centres and
dark or different colored margins.  I also like golds and blues, that are better than what’s available.
     Alex, I’m glad to share my plants with you because you are a generous, honourable lover of nature, who enjoys
hostas for themselves.  I’ve been sorely disappointed by some in the A.H.S. who are not like this - they use hostas as
symbols of wealth, status or power in a group.  I want to share these Japanese hostas only with my friends, who will
share their hostas with me, and so, I ask you to not give, lend or sell them to anyone, unless I agree beforehand.  Best
Regards…Henry
Please send plants for me to: Mr. John Verkade, 223 Willow Ave, Pompton Lakes, New Jersey 07442
indicate the plants are for me.  END OF LETTER
NOTE TO ALEX SUMMERS - I hope?.. you don’t mind, my retyping the Landis Letter and/or my sending Jim &
Toyozo a copy of same?  Sincerely BILL NASH (your originals are being returned here, see enclosures)..
the'SHADOW'gardener
email: "William Nash" <raffi@sympatico.ca>
Personal Website URL = http://www3.sympatico.ca/raffi/
Group List Server = http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/nise