Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #484

Ben:

>We see so may variegated hostas as they are selectively collected
>and selected from thousand of plain green ones!!

OK Ben, there are over 40,000 named daylilies and who knows how many
millions of seedlings, so where are all the variegated daylilies?
Where are all the variegated irises?  You completely missed the point
I was making.  All these sports in hostas are not mutations.

>Moreover transposable elements are just one of the ways mutations can
>arise!

Ben, I know you don't know all that much about botany, but now I am
beginning to wonder about your knowledge of genetics.  Either that or
we have a serious difference of opinion about terminology.  A
transposable element isn't a "mutation."  A mutation is a permanent
change in the base sequence of the DNA of a gene.

>Moreover it is not true. The differences between Patriot and
>Francee have nothing to do with position effects. It has to do with
>ploidy differences see the article in the next Hosta journal

Ben, you are doing your standard POOR SCIENCE again!  Since you seem
to know something that I assume you discovered through reasearch, why
not just state the results so that all of us on this robin can benefit
from what you have learned.  I am not a member of the hosta society
and a lot of the members of this robin are not members of the hosta
society, so we won't have the "next Hosta Journal."

>Transposable elements are simple

Good, will you then explain it to all of us?

>They are one of the ways mutations arise

Transposable elements are not mutations.

Joe Halinar