Re: dying hosta

Hey Rob. Before you jump to any conclusions, do you see any tiny brown
granules that look like bird seed around the base of the plant? Also do
you see any white fungus at the soil surface under the plant? I have a
montana 'Aureo-marginata' that also is losing leaves, but I am CONVINCED
that it is due to the lack of shade that it now gets due to the elm tree
that died that once covered my hosta bed. If you don't see the granules,
you probably do not have southern blight.

Mike Groothuis
Niles, MI
zone 5b (the ultimate southern blight victim)