Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #483

In a message dated 8/11/1999 3:18:49 AM Central Daylight Time,
halinar@open.org writes:

 Right now I am working with Francee and Gold Standard as my two main
 test plants.  I only just got Patriot this spring, so what I will do
 next year is try to generate some sports from Patriot and see what I
 get compared to Francee.  I have several interesting Francee sports,
 some of which are similar to Patriot.  Also have some interesting
 sports of Gold Standard to work with including two streaked plants
 that will likely give a number of different forms next year. >>

I have an all gold "Gold Standard" and of course "Moonlight" is a common
occurrence. When you say streaked plants do you mean plants that have color
spread out threw out the leaf or do you mean with broken and variable margins
that might dip deeper into the leaf center?

>Is the movement of an element a mutation or is there a better way to
>describe this?

A transposable element is called "transposable" because it can move
from chromosome to chromosome.  It is not a mutation in the
traditional sense of mutations.   >>

Is this the same as genetic cross over?