Transposable elements

It is funny Joe raises the terms position effect and transposable
elements and now he asks me for an explanation. Clearly he just
picked up the terms somewere without knowing their meaning
 Anyway  I will repeat this a second time as Joe was not able to read
it correctly the first time. Transposable elements ( short pieces
of DNA) if changing to another place on the chromosomes can induce
mutations. If not, we would rarely notice it! So I dont equate
transposable elements with mutation only saying they can be a CAUSE
of mutation just like irradiation or chemicals. Actually it is
guessed, but not more than than that,  that a fair number of
spontaneous mutations ( not induced ones) are caused by transposable
elements. Lastly any ( "permanent") chance from a green ( blue ) leaf
 to a variegated leaf is a sport due to a mutation ( see my rule of
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands