Re: dying hosta & winter

In a message dated 8/12/99 9:43:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jlanier@yancey.main.nc.us writes:

<< I have never seen the temp here above 80. The flip side of this is that
 I never had the problem in SW Mississippi where the temps are
 unbelievable, or Minnesota where temps can be quite hight too. I would
 say temps are a factor, but only because they are usually on the cool
 side. In the Microbiology lab we routinely cultured molds at 23 C,
 whereas bacteria were cultured at 35 C >>

it was a hard lesson to learn....but winter is actually one of the dryest
seasons of the year....right?

does or can lack of snow cover....obviously up north here....have on impact
on the rot....and how it develops the following year????

could cold temps over the winter be a reason why it is more prevalent in the
south....hence the name.....southern blight....

what impact could a mild winter have on the proliferation of the spores...if
that is the right terms???

so many questions....so little time.....ken